Attract Your Life's Desires

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Urduja's Lullaby



Cagayan de Oro used to pride itself for being such a safe place from natural calamities. It was the typhoon in January 2009 that heralded things were about to change.

Suddenly, streets are flooded, vehicles are stranded and people lose their homes. We are no longer a disaster-free city. Although our families' places are safely tucked, it worries me when I travel during these times. I experienced soaking my car in the highway and its automatic engine flickered. Thank God, it didn't give up totally and still safely brought us home. I made a mental note not to brave the flood next time.

Two days ago, another typhoon hit this side of the country and caused landslides in some nearby towns.The pour of the rain was mild yet steady. It went on for two days, immersing Cagayan roads in muddy water once again.

My hubby, who was on 24 hours duty, reported that the hallways of the hospital were being flooded. Outside, the water was ankle-length when he had his dinner.  I remember how we feared heavy downpours at the Radiology Department because the ultrasound machine needed some rescuing each time.

I was at my brother's house looking after my niece who was down with fever. Just to make sure it wasn't dengue and so I could avoid the possible flood along the highway, I stayed for the night. I would have been a  cool, restful sleep had I not been worrying when the rain would stop.

There was no AM Radio at my brother's home so I was constantly checking my phone's internet for updates but then as expected, twitter, facebook and other social networking sites are only  packed with info when Manila is involved. The gentle yet treacherous sound of Urduja singing dozed me off eventually.

Image Source




No comments: