Attract Your Life's Desires

Monday, August 30, 2004

Plain Jane

I didn't grow up with a fabulous face. Nature missed the flawless skin encryption in my genes. I was an acne-beseiged teenager drawn to the sidelights when under attack. I wasn't a campus hearthrob nor did I date the hottest guys in town. I was a plain jane, the girl who hardly merited a second look. I may not have turned heads but I didn't turn stomachs either. I was average. Being tall and thin didn't work to my advantage. In fact, it was a source of insecurity.I was gawky instead of stunning, blame that on my bad posture. People would comment on my anorexic-like frame with disgust,like I consciously made an effort to remain stick-thin.There was a time I wore oversized shirts and loose jeans, enough to land me a spot on the fashion criminals list. I knew I could do better but I was too shy to look it. I was scared of coming out of my shell and people noticing my presence. Self-confidence was alien to my vocabulary.

A few glamorous magazines subscriptions after, makeovers fascinated me. It was awesome to see how ordinary looking women transformed into glamour incarnates. Excitedly, I resurrected the make-ups piling up on my drawers sent from the states by my aunt. The changes it did on my face were rather dramatic. Hmmm...interesting, I told myself. Wardrobe revamp was the next on my list.It felt good to be fashionable. I liked what I saw on the mirror.

It wasn't long before friends started seeking my help on aesthetic matters. I did makeovers on them too and made them feel good about themselves. Hence, the the birth of the makeover diva! With medical knowledge comes acne-busting powers. I still get flare-ups every now and then but I know better how to handle them. I inject intralesional steroids to myself and to my friends if I have to.It's something that takes skills and knowledge of the possible risks. If it's too tough to handle, I can always to turn to my Dermatology professor.

My transformation didn't take overnight though. Successfully attaining my medical degree and license did push my ego to obtaining that elusive self-confidence. Being in company of good friends supportive of my self-improvement surely helped in unraveling the beauty I never thought was in me. Cliche as it may sound, doing something good for others and being happy about it does a lot of wonders. Beauty not backed up by a good heart doesn't appear to be lasting.

I may not be as traffic-halting as the models on the billboards, I may not land on the next cover of Cosmo,I may not win every cute guy's attention, I may be needing make-ups for a beauty-boost but I like myself better now and I think that's a good way to start living the life I want. That's all that matters.





No comments: