Attract Your Life's Desires

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Let The Games Begin



As of writing, the Philippines has snagged 4 golds. Two were from dance sport, an event which the Filipinos have dominated. One was from long jump, and another from diving. Malaysia is at the top position in the medal count with five golds.

I watched the opening ceremonies at the Luneta grandstand earlier tonight on IBC 13 and I could only wish I was there to be a part of this momentous occasion. But then,even if I were in Manila at this time, there wouldn't be anyone I know interested as much with the events as I am and besides, it is much more comfy watching it at home. Mikee Cojuangco-Jaworski, one of the women I highly regard, was the Philippine delegates' flag bearer. She also lead the athletes' oath. Toni Leviste, a champion equestrienne like Mikee carried the torch riding her horse and passed it on to taekwondo olympian Antoniette Rivero who took it all the way from the Rizal Monument to the grandstand, passing through the crowd, reminscent of the red sea parting.

A promising nine year old Julie Abueva sang the SEA games theme song penned by Jose Mari Chan. Bayang Barrios performed well-choreogaphed numbers which showcased the rich Filipino culture while Ryan Cayabyab conducted the San Miguel Philharmonic Orchestra. Of course, who could miss Rivermaya's rendition of their hit songs with the orchestra on the background. Coolness. Rock and orchestra do mix. The last time I went to Philippine Philharmonic orchestra's concert, listening to the Philippine anthem played live gave me goose bumps. I once fantasized about inviting an orchestra to play music on my wedding but of course that would be a remote possibility in this lifetime (the wedding, more than the idea of the orchestra, that is). Listening to a rock band playing good music with the orchestra was refreshing.

My blog about the 1991 SEA games is yet to be written. In the coming days, I wish to hear the national anthem played frequently as our flag is being raised to signify another gold streak. Long live our athletes!

No comments: