Attract Your Life's Desires

Thursday, September 04, 2008

To Be a Doctor

I browsed through my niece's yearbook and noticed in the pages of the kindergarten grads that most of them listed "to be a doctor" as their ambition in life.

Charging it to their innocence, they probably don't know what they wanna get themselves into. I didn't realize martyrdom is an attractive career option. Getting measly salary as a training resident, telling patients to take care of themselves when you, yourself can't even have a decent sleep or eat on time, spending holidays in the hospital while the rest of the world are celebrating, doing hospital rounds on Sundays, being on call 24/7, 365 days a year, missing out on the fun things that normal people do, being addressed as "'Inday" or "Miss" even if the MD letters are emblazoned on your white coat, are among the reasons why I have partially turned my back on the field that took me in.

Well, those are jaded views from a residency training dropout, 2x in a row. Maybe it's because I crave for other things in life that have nothing to do with Medicine. I quit my trainings because I feel they were limiting me to explore the other wonders of living. I am relieved that I am out of the 4 corners of the hospital and presently enjoying the liberty to express my art forms.

I am still thankful that I still get to practice my medical profession and enjoy life at the same time. But I don't see myself working 24 hr hospital duties, letting work control my life, doing heroic acts all over again, at the expense of my health.

Doctors are viewed as heroes by some, that's probably why the idea appeals to kids. But unless they are genuinely interested in helping people, ready to make big sacrifices and get a kick out of staying awake all night, they could look for other options before they find themselves taking nursing or caregiving courses after securing a license as a physician.

No comments: