Attract Your Life's Desires

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Suddenly I'm Jealous

I was checking my emails then I opened one from jobstreet. Not that I'm still looking for a job coz I really love my present work as a radiology resident. I signed up for the jobstreet mailing list right after I passed the physicians' boards and was looking for options. Though I stated that I graduated with a degree in medicine, I wrote my interests. Don't ask what those interests were coz they're far-flung from my present title. But to give you an idea , my job matches mostly consist of vacancies for visual artists, creative writers, copywriters, production assistants, video editors, graphic designers, web editors and the like. Of course there are the medically related jobs open for nurses, medical transcriptionists and company physicians. But the slots that usually catch my eyes are the ones such as these:

Editorial Assistant for Marie Claire Magazine
(National Capital Reg - Ortigas)

Assist in shoots of fashion and beauty editorials.
Write and execute stories assigned to her from time to time.
Act as a stylist in fashion and beauty shoots from time to time.
Assist in conceptualizing for upcoming issues and take part in brainstorming sessions.
Do press work, proofread and do pull-outs.
File and keep track of past issues.

REQUIREMENTS:

Candidates must possess at least a Bachelor's/College Degree preferably in Creative Writing.
At least 1 year of working experience in the related field is required for this position.
Applicants must be female; 21 years old and above.
Applicants must know how to write and should be fashion-conscious.
Applicants must be dynamic, creative and flexible.
Applicants must be willing to work in Ortigas.
Applicants should be Filipino citizens or hold relevant residence status.

Cool. Yeah, I know it's an editorial assistant, not an editor-in chief position, is only a glamorous title for editorial alalay and it doesn't pay as good as I am receiving now but it's such an exciting job for beginners. I'm not kidding when I say I almost traded my stethoscopes for make-up brushes at one point. If I were younger, permanently residing in Mandaluyong and graduated from the course I wanted to take up in college, I'd probably kill for this job. I looked at the other job openings available and there was one for a fashion editor. Most likely, I'd target that job after my stint as an editorial assistant. Gosh, suddenly I'm wondering of the what might have beens. So if you're reading this and you think you qualify, go straight ahead to summit media, the publisher of the magazines I subsist on. You are the object of my envy. Good luck!

2 comments:

Ronald Allan said...

I can relate. Am a frustrated writer of sorts. About ten years ago I almost made it in as a writer for a broadsheet. Gave the opportunity up to work in a government corporation. Makes me think what my life would have been had I chose that path instead. I love to write, and am always looking for opportunities to write professionally. At present, all I have is my blog. :-) Oh well. We're not always destined to have the things we want. :-) And besides, you never know. :-)

Dr. Vain said...

Exactly. I've learned that wanting something badly doesn't necessarily make that something yours. Some things just aren't meant to be. =)