Attract Your Life's Desires

Sunday, December 26, 2004

Celebrating Life


I was midway through my dreams when I was awakened by the beeping of my cellphone. I reached for it and realized it was my birthday. Greetings from friends started coming. Normally, I'd grouchily pick up the phone and bury it under my pillows as I go back to sleep. That day it was different, I replied to every message with a smile. When you're getting older, simple gestures such as these mean a lot to you. You get more sensitive over not being remembered and people who do remember you will carve a special place in your heart.

It was ironic that the day marked the burial of 2 national headliners, FPJ and De Venecia's young daughter KC. It felt awkward to be celebrating when what you see on tv are people grieving . Not that you don't witness that on tv everyday. After watching the tv coverage of the said events, the people in my tito and tita's new house were getting busy preparing for the party that night. No, it wasn't really for my birthday. My cousin was also celebrating his birthday and it was a housewarming get-together as well. When my Tito learned I was going out with friends later that night, he and my tita insisted that I invite my friends to the house instead. Hmm..Great idea. It will save me from spending for dinner.

Although my mom was with me, I missed the rest of my family. My nieces singing "happy birthday" to me over my brother's phone made up for it.In the afternoon, just when I was about to take a catnap, my phone rang diplaying an unfamiliar number. Upon answering it, I was surprised to learn that it was my long lost friend Gracela who called straight from Germany. She recently found me at friendster (yes friendster hasn't lost its charms). That girl is one thoughtful friend I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. We've known each other since high school and a lot has changed, save for one thing, she still remembers me on my special day.

Later it was time to pick up my friends from Shangrila. Sharon, Sarah, Jessa and Brenda texted that they were sorry they couldn't come for different reasons. It was okay, they've been there at times when I needed them most. They have proven their worth as friends on more than one occasion. After a long time, I got to see again my lolas and lolos. Ai, Mama Fe, Tina, Larry and Doc Aries were there. When we dropped by Polymedic, Edshil who was on duty came down to the car and greeted me too. Jay called and said he'd follow.

Jay, the master of insults was at it again. When he met my pretty cousins Ronnie and Becky, he was asking "are you sure you're cousins?" If for any consolation, at least I was sure it was Jay I was talking to and not some stranger we mistakenly let inside the house. He was even asking me to set him up on a date with Becky. Told him to give it up. She has been offered countless times for modeling jobs but all have been turned down. Their Dad (my other uncle) never liked the idea and I'm sure he'll kill me if I set my cousin up on a date. Besides I wanted Jay to date his fellow surgeon Mama Fe, not Becky. At least Mama Fe could cut his throat when he tries to poke sick jokes on anyone again.

We headed to greenbelt for our favorite gimik, videoke. Gail and her boyfriend, Jardine were meeting us at Redbox. When we got there, the wait list was too long everybody seemed to be in a rockstar mood. When Gail called IO, same story. Jardine offered his condo instead for our videoke. Gail, another proven videoke queen had her handy magic mike. It was a little embarassing to Jardine considering we just met and I was with friends who were raiding his condo but he was really cool about it. ( digression: A week before when I was talking to Gail on the phone, Jardine was offerring his place for me to stay while I would be in Manila, Gail was joking he wanted to adopt me). Little did we know that he was actually battling with fever that day. As we were belting our heart-wrenching songs, he was getting knocked down all the more hence he had to excuse himself while we finish our concert. As usual, the singers in the group Larry and Tina melted everyone with their soulful voices while Mama Fe, the partly sadistic witchcraft guru tortured the sick Jardine with her rap version of the "How do I live" and scored much higher points than Tina. Must be the red wine she drank almost all by herself. Doc Aries, rendered the song of the moment "Kumusta ka" ala FPJ , Jay, who I never heard sing actually gave in to "Cruisin" with Mama Fe . Ai, the perennially shy albeit helmeted girl declined to sing. Gail, after singing a few songs for her baby Jardine had to excuse herself too while she got medicine for him. Even if their guests were all doctors, nothing will cure Jardine than Gail's TLC. Videoke will never be the same without these people.

Realizing the need for the host to get his rest, we bade our goodbyes to my gracious friends Jardine and Gail and went on to Watering Hole in Shangrila. Jay and Ai went home. So went the date I tried to fix for Mama Fe. Actually, I wanted to put my matchmaking skills to rest already after the breakups of couples I recently matched but Mama Fe and Jay were just too good to pass up (but it did anyway). After seeing Larry dozing off to sleep in his seat and Mama Fe trying to keep her eyes open while talking (both were from-duty status), we decided to call it a night. Mama Fe and I stayed for the night at Sharon's condo in while Shawie was on duty at Polymedic. And that's how spent my 29th birthday, in the company of good friends who reminded me that life is still beautiful, despite everything.

No comments: