Attract Your Life's Desires

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Silver Linings 2008


After the success of Silver Linings in Shangrila Hotel in Manila last September 2005, I Can Serve is bringing it back, in Cebu this time.

Silver linings is a homecoming of cancer survivors organized by the breast cancer support group, I Can Serve. Simultaneous educational forums dealing on the updates on breast cancer, steps after medical treatment, support for loved ones and improving one's self esteem even through illness, will be conducted.

During the last Silver linings, the topic that got me excited was "look good, feel good," a makeup tutorial by Abbygale Arenas. Yes, I was just diagnosed with cancer that time but nothing stopped me from learning how to primp up despite my condition. I think it's important not to look the part when you're sick because that would be an added downer.

Of course, I learned valuable updates from medical doctors who talked about the latest developments of the disease. I was warned about soya and ginseng which are healthy foods but may have some estrogen mimicking effects that is not good for breast cancer.

The brave survivors delivered their testimonies and one of them was my kind surgeon, Doc Frankie (RIP). She invited me to the event and even tried looking for a sponsor to foot my airfare bills as a fellow doctor. Unfortunately, drug companies were apparently scrimping. But I went, anyway. My mom came with me for support.

Celebrities were all around the place, as resource persons or as loved ones who had to cope with having a family member struck with cancer. This year, it will be hosted by Pinky Marquez with forum moderators Karen Davila, Melissa de Leon, etc. Bituin Escalante will also be singing.

Cancer survivors are encouraged to attend, not exclusive to those with breast cancer. The event will be on September 6, 2008 at the Waterfront Hotel in Lahug, Cebu. The registration fee is very minimal, at P100.

For pre-registration and inquiries, contact: 6332.2439370 (Cebu) 632.6873942 (Manila) or write to silverlinings2008@gmail.com.

No comments: