Attract Your Life's Desires

Friday, November 05, 2004

For The Love of Blog


My good friend and blogmate, Dylan, texted me one day and said, “I’ve been reading your blogs. You ‘re always broken hearted man uy”. I replied, “precisely why I got into blogging, I needed an outlet to pour all out my pains.” Actually, it was my friend Gail who influenced me into this online journal thing. She started her own when she was nursing a broken heart which I felt I was partly accountable for ( I introduced her to the culprit, hence after their break up I vowed to retire as a matchmaker). She gave me the password to her blog, in which most entries were in private, so I was updated on how her heart was healing. I was emailing my friends, including Gail, my own sad stories when I decided I could keep them all posted by having an online journal myself, which turned out to be a really good idea.

Blogging is like talking to a wall when no one is there to talk to. In my case where I’m cities and oceans apart from most of my friends at this time, it was surely the answer to keeping my sanity intact. Even if we wanted to be there for one another, it just wasn’t possible, considering the demands of our jobs. Some friends had their own families too, so bothering them with my own problems was a selfish thing for me to do. Blogging provided the mental and emotional catharsis that I needed for my sentiments that has long built up inside me. I never really cared if no one will ever read my entries after all. As long as I got to unload my emotional burdens, it was therapeutic enough for me.

Having someone place a comment was an added bonus. In my xanga where even strangers would be supportive of me and leave inspiring comments, it made me feel that I wasn’t alone after all. These people who didn’t know me were actually cheering me on and wishing me luck . How nice of them. These were the earth angels that God sent to keep me going even through the rocky patch in my journey.

I articulate my thoughts more through writing than speaking. In person, I easily clam up and fail to get my message across. I move people better through writing. During fourth year high school, I wrote for the school paper after I got bored acting for the dramatics club for three years. My opinions also made it to some of the top newspapers and magazines. Needless to say, I was a frustrated writer. I never got to sharpen my skills. I’m no Carrie Bradshaw, but blogging made me live out my fantasies of having my own column, with or without readers.

Of all the good things it has brought me, some people would point though that blogging is nothing but a narcissistic venture. What the heck, I’m a self-confessed narcissistic anyway. What works for some may not work for others. Well, this thing definitely works for me. Thank God for blogging, it gets me in touch with my friends and can actually save me the trip to the loony bin.

No comments: